Our Story

Allendale Shelter Club was founded by 16 female members of the Children’s Hospital Society on December 6, 1906. During that time, professionals in the legal system and social services field believed that one of the greatest needs of Chicago was care for a steadily growing population of boys who have no home or financial resources.

Under the leadership of Katherine Ellwood Allport, the women of our organization rented a flat on Harrison Street and founded The Boy’s Shelter Club. This is where our members housed 50 young boys in need, where they were given access to shelter, a clean bed, and meal tickets to a nearby restaurant. The unemployed boys attended classes in the public school, and the Chicago University Settlement helped supervise their free time.

As The Boy’s Shelter Club expanded, summer vacation proved to be a difficult time. In 1909, the suggestion of an affiliation with the Allendale Farm was made. There, the boys would have the invaluable help of Mr. Edward L. Bradley—a supporter who founded an ideal home for children who are 12 years and below in age.

In the years to follow, The Boy’s Shelter Club and the Allendale Farm would merge to form the Allendale Association—where both boys and girls were admitted. Despite the changes, The Allendale Association has endured, and for more than 100 years has remained committed to its founding mission of aiding children in need.

Projects Funded by Your Contributions

Over the years, we have contributed more than $13 million to the Allendale Association and remain to be the school’s largest private donor. Funds contributed through our organization have been used for countless projects of all sizes including several student housing units, a cafeteria (Shelter Club Commons), and most recently, a state-of-the-art student technology center.

We have also supported smaller—but no less important than the aforementioned—projects. These include vehicles to provide transportation for children and their families as well as scholarships awarded to students who graduated from Allendale Association to help them continue their education. In addition to providing financial support, Allendale Shelter Club maintains close relationships with staff and students.

Our Story

Allendale Shelter Club was founded by 16 female members of the Children’s Hospital Society on December 6, 1906. During that time, professionals in the legal system and social services field believed that one of the greatest needs of Chicago was care for a steadily growing population of boys who have no home or financial resources.

Under the leadership of Katherine Ellwood Allport, the women of our organization rented a flat on Harrison Street and founded The Boy’s Shelter Club. This is where our members housed 50 young boys in need, where they were given access to shelter, a clean bed, and meal tickets to a nearby restaurant. The unemployed boys attended classes in the public school, and the Chicago University Settlement helped supervise their free time.

As The Boy’s Shelter Club expanded, summer vacation proved to be a difficult time. In 1909, the suggestion of an affiliation with the Allendale Farm was made. There, the boys would have the invaluable help of Mr. Edward L. Bradley—a supporter who founded an ideal home for children who are 12 years and below in age.

In the years to follow, The Boy’s Shelter Club and the Allendale Farm would merge to form the Allendale Association—where both boys and girls were admitted. Despite the changes, The Allendale Association has endured, and for more than 100 years has remained committed to its founding mission of aiding children in need.

Projects Funded by Your Contributions

Over the years, we have contributed more than $13 million to the Allendale Association and remain to be the school’s largest private donor. Funds contributed through our organization have been used for countless projects of all sizes including several student housing units, a cafeteria (Shelter Club Commons), and most recently, a state-of-the-art student technology center.

We have also supported smaller—but no less important than the aforementioned—projects. These include vehicles to provide transportation for children and their families as well as scholarships awarded to students who graduated from Allendale Association to help them continue their education. In addition to providing financial support, Allendale Shelter Club maintains close relationships with staff and students.